Moving house can be a stressful time. It’s totally normal to feel a spectrum of emotions as you pack up your old life and prepare to begin this new chapter.
We’ve collected some of our favourite quotes that can help you manage the transition: quotes about change, new beginnings, and moving forward with your life without fear or nostalgia for your old place.
Who knows - you might find a nice moving house quote for your new living room plaque or canvas.
1. “You’re never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
No matter how old you are or what stage of life you’re in, moving home is always going to be an adventure - so make sure to treat it like one!
2. “All you will have is the present. Waste no energy crying over yesterday or dreaming of tomorrow. Nostalgia is fatiguing and destructive, it is the vice of the expatriate. You must put down roots as if they were forever, you must have a sense of permanence.” – Isabel Allende
We can totally understand feeling nostalgic and bittersweet about leaving your former home. You probably made unforgettable memories in your old home, and don’t like the idea of your former space being taken up by a new family. However, there’s no use in destructive nostalgia. Focus your energy on making your new home as cosy and beautiful as it can be, and the memories will make themselves.
3. “Our homes are not defined by geography or one particular location, but by memories, events, people, and places that span the globe.” – Marilyn Gardner
It can be easy to compare your new house with your former home; perhaps compare locations, or pit them against each other when it comes to how aesthetically please they are. But remind yourself: it is not the physical aspects of your home which make it so special to you; it’s the memories made inside that count.
4. “Home is where one starts from.” –T.S. Eliot
As you move into your new home, remind yourself that even while it feels new and strange, it’s going to be your new starting base going forward. It’s here that you’ll celebrate birthdays, make memories, and live your life. Make it your own home; make it yours.
5. “You can have more than one home. You can carry your roots with you, and decide where they grow.” - Henning Mankell
Just because you’ve left your former home, it doesn’t mean that it’s no longer yours. While it might no longer technically belong to you, all the memories you made within its walls are still yours to keep and cherish. And now, you can make new memories in your new home!
6. “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney
Don’t be afraid of change - think of this new chapter as a new adventure and a new opportunity to discover a new, enriching life. While change can be scary and unsettling, change is the only way you can move forward and achieve those goals and dreams.
7. “Move out of your comfort zone. You can only grow if you are willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable when you try something new.” - Brian Tracy
While it can be feel strange to uproot your life and everything you know, moving out of our comfort zone is essential for human growth. And moving home certainly counts as moving out of your comfort zone - you’re leaving your old habits, old neighbours, maybe even old friends. While this can be daunting, embrace the change and watch yourself evolve.
8. “The ultimate luxury is being able to relax and enjoy your home.” - Jeff Lincoln
If we could sum up the joys of owning our own home, this would be it. Owning your own home truly is the ultimate luxury; being able to take off your shoes at the end of a long day and relax with your loved ones - what could be better?
Moving to a new country can be even more daunting than simply moving home. Here are some of our favourite moving house quotes to help you manage the transition:
9. “Settling into a new country is like getting used to a new pair of shoes. At first they pinch a little, but you like the way they look, so you carry on. The longer you have them, the more comfortable they become. Until one day, without realising it, you reach a glorious plateau. Wearing those shoes is like wearing no shoes at all. The more scuffed they get, the more you love them and the more you can't imagine life without them.” - Tahir Shah
Moving country will feel strange at first, but doing anything new is always going to feel strange at the beginning! After no time at all, you’ll find your new “normal” in your new home country, and won’t be able to imagine life any other way!
10. “If I’m an advocate for anything, it’s to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. Walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food. It’s a plus for everybody.” – Anthony Bourdain
As the late Anthony Bourdain implies, seeking out new horizons and going to new countries does wonders for the human spirit. Not only is it an exciting personal adventure for you, but you’re also expanding your understanding of the world and those in it. While it might be scary, you’re only going to grow in wisdom and life experience.
11. “I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth. Then I ask myself the same question.” - Harun Yahya
Many people yearn to move home and find thesmevles in all corners of the world. While it might feel bittersweet to leave behind what you know, remind yourself that it’s a luxury to be able to see and experience the world.
What our customers say...
“I felt I had to write and thank you for all your help during our recent from Hollingbourne. Kim in the office especially, and of course your personnel who were the most skilled and professional I have encountered in many years of moving.”
Dr Brown - Dorset
“Just a note to say thank you for all your help during my recent move, and how wonderful the lads were. The whole move went without stress and the three lads were so very helpful and good natured.”
Sandra Mulley South Welling
Domestic removals have been a speciality of Goodfellows for the past 30 years
At Goodfellows we have our own secure storage facilities we can store any of your belongings
No matter how big or small your commercial removal need, we can help you at Goodfellows
Whether you’re moving locally or overseas, Goodfellows can help you along every step of the way